Shenanikids

So this summer has been crazy. I have been nannying/ babysitting for six different families with a total of thirteen different kids. It has been enlightening, if anything, although stressful as well. Since there are so many different families I get to see a lot of different parenting styles (or lack there of).

The greatest thing about nannying is getting to be a part of so many kids lives and being a positive influence on them.

The hardest part is disciplining them, a few of the families have very poor discipline standards set in their houses. In one of them whenever I do try to discipline I am constantly undermined by the mother so there is no consequence for inappropriate actions. Parents often forget that consistency is SUPER important.

The most frustrating thing is the kids not listening to me, or having to repeat myself which goes hand in hand with the discipline thing.

My favorite moment was arriving at the house that I was to babysit at that day and having the little girl squeal with delight as I walked in the door. One week at least one kid from each family cried when I had to leave, I call that a job well done.

Some weeks I feel so worn out, like I'm so ready to be done. Working fifty hours in a week will do that to you! Bit then I get to rest up and see some of my favorite kids (yes, parents aren't allowed to have favorites, but I feel like that rule shouldn't apply to me) and I am ready to go on to the next week.

Being a little more than half way done seems crazy to me! Although there are definitely tough moments there are also fantastic ones and I'm so grateful that God has blessed me with the opportunity to be a part of so many lives and vice versus!

1 comment:

  1. Keep it up Tubbs you are having a major impact on their lives and it's going to prepare you for your own classroom in the future! Also just think back to game nights last year and the fact that good times are on the way!

    ReplyDelete