precisely my life,

When Lightening Strikes
By Jamie Rose Goldstein


My lighting struck down and left a mark,
One little hole easily patched up and ignored
Quickly forgotten and looked past
Because in that place within your chest where it struck, life quickly recovered
Nothing had to lie dead or bare for very long
New soil was packed into the tiny crevasse that was made
And reconstructed you to almost whole again
Nobody would ever know that my lightening left a minuscule scar
Buried just below the surface of your new lush foliage

Your lightening struck down on my Earth and left chaos
In newly dehydrated plains, so thirsty for the liquid of your soul
Having been steadily deprived of the nectar it needed for nourishment
In a vast field now vacant, standing with only begging to be revived brush
Your lightening struck
And how swiftly the dried up clutter caught on fire

So while your small hole is nice and mended
And kindly tended by this person you’ve befriended,
I was stricken while pushed to the side and left undefended
The wildfire has so rapidly spread through me
Every rolling hill between my head heart soul and body engulfed by the flames
The kind of inferno that is not effortlessly contained
With a couple of water-buckets full of half-hearted
“I’m sorries” and “I’m not trying to hurt yous”
Don’t you see what lightening can do?
I am on fire

And its wrath rages throughout me, igniting my veins
With every new advancement it continues to leave my insides burnt
Seared with the blackness of an unrelenting sorrow
In a place where I swear an abundance of flowers once grew

And from the charred pieces of my heart,
That creak, and crack, and cry in mourning its sudden loss of you,
The deep valley of my soul already knows,
The next phase… disintegration into ashes
The weaken, the loosen, the fall apart
The snowy melancholy drift that covers everything in its grey lifeless soot

And I can only pray
That when the fervor of the furry of these flames have been fatigued
And every piece of me has been torched and crisped
And each tear has been refined to nothing but residue
I can only pray
That Love will find me with her compass
The one that always point towards home
And from nothing but run-down faith and still warm embers
From these ashes, Your ashes
I will be reborn into the me I’ve always known.

No comments:

Post a Comment